Bird Mites (Dermanyssus gallinae)
Bird Mites are nearly white when unfed, turning bright red when recently fed, or gray to black with blood meal partially digested. They are oval, flattened from top to bottom, and 0.75 to 1mm. in length.
These mites usually feed on pigeons, sparrows, starlings and chickens. They can move from abandoned bird nests into buildings and attack humans. They usually feed at night, after which the mite drops off the host.
Bird mites can actually cause painful skin irritation on humans.
- Vacuuming infested rooms frequently will dramatically reduce the number of mites. Thoroughly vacuum rugs, curtains, carpets and furniture.
- If you own or handle birds, keep the coops and bedding clean and inspect the flock regularly for signs of any possible infestation.
- Remove any old bird nests or dead birds.
- Pets that spend time outdoors should be checked regularly & thoroughly as they can become bird mite carriers.
- Specific care and attention should be paid to inspecting second-hand furniture before bringing indoors, as mites can be transported in bedding, furniture, and carpeting.
- If you have an infestation, launder bedding and clothing thoroughly in hot water.
Contact Owl Pest Control for more advice and Bird Mites Control Services.
DIY Bird Mite Treatments - Get Rid of Mites
Click on the links below for more details or to buy DIY mite control products online
Natural Dust Insecticide
Desi-Dust Diatomaceous Earth
Liquid Residual Insecticide
Protector C for Mite control
PHONE, EMAIL OR BOOK
Contact Owl Pest Control
Do you have a Pest Control problem, need to talk to an expert?
Contact Owl Pest Control today!