Pest Control Training in Ireland
The EU Biocide Directive has brought a lot of changes for Pest Control Companies in 2018, all driven by increased restrictions on the use of Professional rodenticides (i.e. rat and mice poison).
Specifically, since 01/01/2018, all pest control operators or other individuals buying or using professional rodenticides must hold a valid licence or “PMU number”. The new rodenticide product labels clearly indicate this legal requirement, as we can see below in the first paragraph of the new Vertox Oktablock II rodenticide label:
Not for sale to the general public or any person other than trained professionals. Trained professional users must register with DAFM as a “Trained Professional – Pest Management Professional” (PMU) and must present their PMU No. at the point of sale to purchase this product for use only as specified on the label.
Using a biocide contrary to the label instructions is an offence.
The only qualification accepted by the DAFM (Department of Agriculture, Food and Marine) is an Ofqual Level 3 course in pest management. Currently the Lantra “Level 3 Award in Pest Management Services – Trained Professional User” is the only course available. It is a 5-day course divided onto 3 modules and 3 examinations, including a practical assessment and multiple-choice exam.
Topics covered include:
- Biology and Control of Invertebrate Pests
- The Biology and Control of Rodent Pests
- Other Vertebrate Pests Biology and Control
- Practical Skills for the Management of Invertebrate and Vertebrate Pests
After obtaining their qualification, trainees can apply to the DAFM for a full PMU number, and then purchase biocides and work without restriction. Only individuals receive a PMU number, not Companies.
In the meantime, the DAFM can issue a “Temporary PMU” for a period of up to 9 months, with a number of restrictions, so trainee pest controllers can gain experience before undertaking the Lantra course. For this, you will need to apply for a “Temporary PMU”, selecting in the drop-down menu “Pest Management Trainee“.
Since the beginning of the DAFM rules in 2018, Owl Pest Control has been facilitating independent training for the “Lantra Level 3 Award in Pest Management Services” course, by providing FREE training rooms at our office, in small groups of 10-15 trainees.
2018: There was three Lantra courses held in 2018, in July, September, and November.
2019: Three Lantra courses as well in 2019: January, August, November.
2020: In 2020 the lockdowns and travel restrictions didn’t make it possible to run courses.
2021: Although most classrooms courses are on hold due to the Covid-19 pandemic, PestNI will try to organise three courses at the Pillo Hotel in Ashbourne subject to the lifting of travel restrictions. It is essential to register your interest with PestNI so there are enough participants to run the course.
2021: Currently only the IPCA offer the Lantra course & examination completely online. Several sessions have already occurred this year.
- Latest IPCA/LANTRA Level 3 Diploma in Pest Management Services- Trained Professional User started on Monday, June 14th.
If anyone needs to repeat exams from previous courses they should indicate which sections they need to repeat and do them as well.
You must confirm your expression of interest for any course / repeat exam by email: firstname.lastname@example.org so the IPCA can get you the necessary paperwork and online login details, etc.
At no extra cost, the IPCA also include the certification “CRRU-IASIS Wildlife Aware” Training Course, Certification and Accreditation” for anyone that passes unit 1.
The learners will get a log in to the modules upon payment and have access to all modules which they can view in their own time, they can review any sections they wish.
There will be some live online sessions with a tutor to answer any questions and carry out a review of materials and exam technique. The exam will take place online.
Upon receipt of your application, the IPCA can provide more details on the process.
- The first online training Tutorial workshop will be covering the first 11 modules with an online exam – Paper 1 & Paper 2.
- The second tutorial Workshop will cover the rest of the modules, with exam Paper 3 and Online Practical.
All dates times to be confirmed before course commences. Places are limited so you must register your interest as soon as possible.
Anyone who wishes to repeat units they failed previously can repeat their exams on the relevant days.
- IPCA Members €650
- Jobseekers €850
- Non – Members €1000
Course fees include – access to online course material, live tutorials, examination & certification.
Below are the topics that will be covered in each section.
- Module 1 Rodent Behaviour Damage
- Module 2 Rodenticides
- Module 3 Rodent Biology
- Module 4 Rodent control – an IPM approach
- Module 5 Rodenticides & Environment
- Module 6 Wildlife Species & Rodenticides
- Module 7 Sewer Rodent Control
- Module 8 Rodent Site Survey & Risk Assessment
- Module 9 Other Vertebrates – Mammals
- Module 10 Other Vertebrates – Birds
- Module 11 Other Vertebrates Control
- Module 12 Introduction to Invertebrates
- Module 13 Flying Insects – Diptera 1
- Module 14 Flying Insects – Diptera 2
- Module 15 Ants, Wasps and Bees
- Module 16 Arthropods non-chemical control 1
- Module 17 Arthropods non-chemical control 2
- Module 18 Cockroaches
- Module 19 Arthropods Chemical Control
- Module 20 Parasites
- Module 21 Ambient Arthropods
- Module 22 Stored product and structural insects 1
- Module 23 Stored product and structural insects 2
- Module 24 Stored product and structural insects 3
- Codes of Practice and Standards
- Report Writing & PRACTICAL ASSESSMENT 1 (Rodents)
- Report Writing & PRACTICAL ASSESSMENT 2 ( Vertebrates & Invertebrates)
The DAFM can give a Temporary PMU number to new entrants to the pest control industry for a period of up to 9 months. This is in order to allow time for “on the job” training and completion of the Lantra course. There are a number of rules / restrictions with the temporary PMU number:
- The trainee must work under direct supervision of a licensed trainer (PMU for 2+ years) for a period of 2 weeks
- A training plan must be submitted to the DAFM, including training records and proof of registration to an upcoming Lantra Level 3 course
- A Pest Control trainee can only carry out repeat visits and cannot conduct site assessments until registered as a full PMU
- A trainee must observe a PMU carry out method/technique applications of biocidal products and then carry out a minimum of 4 treatments himself under direct supervision in order to carry out repeat visits on his/her own
For full details on rules and record keeping requirements click here:
Apply for a Temporary PMU Number here. (select “Pest Management Trainee” in the drop-down menu).
After Pest Control trainees pass their exams and receives a Certificate from Lantra, they can finally register and apply for a PMU Number with the DAFM Pesticide Registration and Control Division (PRCD). The application is made by filling out a form online.
Apply for a full PMU Number here. (select “Pest Management User” in the drop-down menu).
As with many other industries, in order to keep your licence you must partake in a Continuous Professional Development (CPD) or “Continuous Professional Education” (CPE) pest control scheme recognised by the DAFM.
Every calendar year, The DAFM-PRCD reviews the CPD points earned for each licensed pest controller in Ireland. It is mandatory to have all the required points in order to keep the licence (PMU number) active.
There are three recognised Pest Control CPD schemes in Ireland at present:
BASIS PROMPT is the most established scheme (Est. 1978) with over 4,000 members between the UK and Ireland. It has the benefits of a wide range of CPD materials (exhibitions, online and classroom training, magazines, forums, etc.) and several full-time staff members to run it.
Read our article for more information about BASIS PROMPT, how to register and examples of how to get CPD points.
Ready to take on a new challenge?
The IPM provision of Pest Management Services
Management and Control of Vertebrate Pests
Management and Control of Invertebrate Pests
Prerequisite: Assessment is by written examination and the completion of assignments. Candidates will be expected to refer to successful pest management treatments that they have carried out when completing their assignments. Ability to make Inspection report recommendations building effective relationships with customers. All teaching will be based on current standards and Irish legislation.
Pre Learning provided 4 weeks in Advance
- Learning resources (provided at no extra cost)
- Morning Tea/Coffee
- Light lunch
- Afternoon refreshments
- Socially Distant room with suitable controls in place.
Course will run based on a minimum of 6 Candidates.
Cost (July 2021): £899 (all in)
To reserve your place you must submit a booking form
The Certified Field Biologist Programme is approved by NPTA Ireland.
In order to ensure that candidates have a wide range of competencies in all areas working within a legislative context (Republic of Ireland & Northern Ireland), PestNI has introduced a number of pre-requisite courses that are necessary before entering the final stage of the Field Biologist Programme.
The aim is to Educate candidates to an advanced level having the necessary knowledge and skills to produce Expert Reports meeting Pest Industry Standards.
To enter on this programme it is mandatory to hold the following:
- RSPH/BPCA Level 2 Award in Pest Management/ Irish Diploma or equivalent.
- At least 2 years experience of undertaking Pest Control Inspections or Audits.
Pest NI Field Biologist Programme:
On this Field Biologist Programme, candidates will learn how to produce an expert report summarising the evidence seen during an inspection as well as recommendations.
- Knowledge of legal conformity and non-conformity.
- Current State of Pest Activity
- Review of all pest control procedures and Documentation including HACCP (Pest Control)
- Compliance Audit in relation to Health & Safety, Food Hygiene, HACCP, Environmental & Pest Risk Assessment in accordance with Domestic, National and European legislation, approved codes of Practice and British Retail Consortium (BRC) Industry Standards.
- Trend Analysis and corrective actions.(Food Processing Risk Area Maps).
- Based on Guidelines for Auditing Management Systems 19011:2011
Stage 1-3 outlined below must be completed before entering on to the final Field Biologist Course.
Candidates are required to submit a Portfolio of at least three inspection audit reports demonstrating practical experience of Inspection and Quality of Reports for Food Manufacturing, Retail outlets and Warehouses etc.
Candidates will be Supported & guided throughout. Report guidelines will be provided when joining at the beginning of the programme.
Access to online pre-learning will be provided 4 weeks in advance of the start of the programme.
RSPH Level 3 Award in Health and Safety for Supervisors in the Workplace. 2-day course with course literature, Multiple Choice Exam, food and refreshments.
On completion, Candidates will receive an Ofqual Level 3 RSPH Qualification.
RSPH Level 3 (Intermediate) in HACCP. 2-day course with course literature, Multiple Choice Exam, food and refreshments.
The exam will be 1.5 hours long consisting of 45 Multiple Choice Questions.
On completion, Candidates will receive an Ofqual Level 3 RSPH Qualification.
Field Biologist Course and Exam (It is mandatory to complete stages 1-2 before being accepted on the Field Biologist Course)
On completion of the Field Biologist Course and Exam alongside submission of a portfolio of 3 Reports the Candidate will be issued a Pest NI- Certified Field Biologist Certificate.
Price £ 1,995 (NPTA Members get 10% Off this programme)
On successful completion of this Programme, it will allow Candidates to conduct Professional Independent Field Biologist Audit Inspections & Reports, satisfying client customer service requirements.
Contact Owl Pest Control
Do you need training advice?
Do you work in Pest Control and need pest control supplies? Get advice or request a trade catalogue today!