Booklice - Booklouse (Psocids)
There are over 800 types of Psocids, however the information given here applies to all.
They are very small, less than 1mm, grey or brown, and often appear as “moving specks”. They can walk, but not jump or fly.
Booklice like to live in warm, dark, humid places and are often found in food cupboards, especially those used for dry goods live flour, milk powder and semolina. They eat microscopic moulds and fungi.
Booklice are frequently found in foodstuff packaging, old books, carpets and other furnishings, but can also be associated with new plaster which offers a humid habitat while it dries out.
Although a nuisance Booklice do not carry any diseases and are not a health risk. Nor are they a sign of poor hygiene or a dirty house. Large infestations, however, may cause significant damage to delicate materials such as books and furs.
- To aid with the prevention of infestation, dry foodstuffs should be kept in a cool dry well-ventilated place
- Cupboards should be cleaned regularly and dried thoroughly before the food goes back in
- The kitchen should be kept well ventilated.
- Avoid condensation as it creates the conditions for the moulds (that Psocids feed on) to grow.
- Use a suitable electric dehumidifier if you cannot reduce the humidity levels
Do you have a booklice problem and need professional help?
• SAME-DAY SERVICE
• FREE QUOTATIONS
DIY Booklice Treatments - Get Rid of Booklice
Once you resolve the issues with moisture, you can use residual insecticide to get rid of remaining book lice quicker.
Click on the links below for more details or to buy DIY booklice control products online:
Contact Owl Pest Control
Do you have a booklice problem and need to talk to an expert?
Contact Owl Pest Control today!