Clothes Moths (Tineola bisselliella)
Clothes Moths are a cream colour, about 3/8-inch. Larvae often leave strands of the silk they spin on fabrics.
Clothes moths live in clothing, carpets, fabrics and furs. They can fly but usually hide in dark corners or in the folds of fabric. The moths larvae are able to digest animal hairs and feed on any item made of natural fibers, particularly wool and cashmere.
While Clothes Moths are not dangerous, but they can cause extensive damage to clothing, carpets, rugs and other fabrics. Since they reproduce quickly they can create a lot of damage in a very short period of time.
Clothes Moths Prevention
- Zipped plastic storage covers are a better alternative to cardboard boxes for storing woolen or natural fibre clothes.
- If using boxes, they should be thoroughly cleaned beforehand and carefully sealed with tape afterwards.
- Mothballs leave a strong odour but will help deter fabric pests.
- Cedar blocks work to some degree in repelling the moths but they don’t get rid of the moth larvae
- If you discover infested items that you cannot discard, you can place them in plastic bags and freeze them for several days to kill moths, larvae and eggs.
It is not always easy to identify and treat the source(s) of a Clothes Moths infestation without appropriate equipment, knowledge and experience. Owl Pest Control has expertise in the control of Clothes Moths.
DIY Clothes Moths Treatments
Want to get rid of clothes moths by yourself?
Check the links below for more details or to buy DIY clothes moths killing products online:
Clothes Moths Killer Cassettes
The Moth Killer Cassettes are ideal to hang in wardrobes. They kill adult clothes moths, larvae and eggs for up to 6 months. hanging clothing.
The cassette is easy to hang up using the built-in hook. Unlike mothballs, they are flagrance-free and will not give any odour to your clothing. They also have a handy date indicator that will remind you exactly when the unit needs replacing.
Directions for use:
- Take the cassette out of the protective packaging.
- Pull out the hook from the cassette.
- Set the date indicator to the month you install (or the month of expiry if you prefer, 6 months after installation)
- Hang the cassette on a clothes rail inside the wardrobe or cupboard. It can also be used directly inside drawers or suitcases.
- As an indication, two cassettes protect up to 1 cubic metre.
Do you have a clothes moths problem and need professional help?
• SAME-DAY SERVICE
• FREE QUOTATIONS
Other Insect Killing Products:
Sticky Pads Insect Monitors and Detectors
Silverfish Traps and Monitors
Natural Insect Powder
Natural Insect Killing Dust – Diatomaceous Earth
Insect Powder Dust
Rentokil Ant & Crawling Insect Killer Powder 300g
Liquid Residual Insecticide
Contact Owl Pest Control
Do you have a clothes moth problem and need to talk to an expert?
Contact Owl Pest Control today!
Unit 19, Tallaght Business Centre, Whitestown Road, Tallaght, Dublin 24. D24 TD42
For All Queries
Monday – Friday
Email us for a quick response
Outside Office Hours