Air Vent Cover Specifications
- Small Size: 245mm x 95mm
- Medium Size: 245mm x 170mm
- Large Size: 245mm x 245mm
- 2mm holes mesh size preventing rodents, slugs, and insect access
- Plastic frame
- Available in White, Black, Brown
Air Vent covers provide a unique approach to pest control. This preventative approach will get rid of mice by stopping the mouse from entering your property in the first place.
This easy-to-fit, cost-effective product can be fitted over existing air brick vents with no interruption to airflow. This easy-to-fit product has either a robust ABS plastic frame with a stainless steel mesh insert or a stainless steel frame and a stainless mesh insert and is fixed via the screw guide holes at the front.
Air Vent Cover grills must not be used to cover air vents that are being used for the ventilation of gas appliances. The mesh may become blocked with dust, leaves, dirt etc which would restrict or even block airflow and increase the risk of carbon monoxide poisoning.
Air Vent Cover covers can be glued or screwed into position, for glueing we recommend using either our Soudal Avifix High Tac adhesive or Soudal Avisil clear silicone adhesive (for dry weather).
How Rodents Enter Your Property?
During the warmer months, common house mice are content to live outdoors, munching on cereal grains and seeds. But at the first sign of a cold snap, they`ll scamper towards the comforts of the nearest human dwelling and find their way in.
Once there, they will nibble at (but not necessarily consume) practically anything they can get their tiny teeth on, including lead, rubber, plastic and even some forms of concrete. This is because they have to gnaw all the time to keep their ever-growing incisors trimmed to the right length.
It is this gnawing, along with a relatively soft skull and an already slender, flexible body that allows the mouse to get through improbably small holes.
The process that will permanently get rid of mice will involve sealing quite small holes in your property and of course, the air brick is a favourite entry place for these tiny creatures.
Any openings in your home that are wider than 6mm (a quarter of an inch) and the trouble starts. Through squeezing and nibbling, the mice could well be moving in.
Remember that a resourceful mouse can also jump 46 centimetres (18 inches) vertically; swim; happily travels upside down and climb up pretty much anything.
How to Fix Air Vent Cover to your Brickwork
There are two main methods of fixing Air Vent Cover airbrick grills:
1) Glue with Avifix or Avisil adhesive
- Use a caulking gun, brush off, or wash away any dirt, moss or loose brick and allow to dry.
- Do not remove hole covers at the corners of the Mouse Mesh frame
- Apply a continuous bead of adhesive, about 6mm in diameter, around the back edge of the frame.
- Gently push the frame into place ensuring that the glue is sufficient to bond to the brick around the whole edge
- Make sure that you place the Air Vent Cover the right way up – the text “DO NOT BLOCK THIS VENTILATOR” should be readable at the bottom left of the Air Vent Cover when in place.
- Leave grill undisturbed whilst glue cures – 24 hours will usually give a cure depth of about 1.5mm Glue.
- Coverage: One standard cartridge of adhesive should be sufficient for approximately: 12 small Air Vent Covers, 10 medium Air Vent Covers & 8 large Air Vent Covers
2) Screwing the Mouse Mesh into place
- Please note that our ABS range does not come with screws use four brass or stainless steel round head screws approximately gauge 6 by 1.5 inches – but please check the head size as manufacturers’ sizes may vary. Alternatively use No 4 gauge.
- Remove screw caps at the corners of the Air Vent Cover by pushing from the back with a small screwdriver
- Mark through holes onto brickwork drill out holes with a masonry drill
- Push plastic raw plugs into holes flush with the surface of the walls
- Attach Air Vent Cover applying reasonable pressure to screws but avoiding over-tightening which may damage the grill push screw caps back into place.
Need more pest proofing solutions? Check how to protect your home from invading pests HERE
Ver easy to install
Did the job perfectly
Simple an effective design, perfect size for my wall vents, no mouse incursions since fitting.
The vent covers I ordered were perfect. Also next day delivery which was great.