Silverfish (Lespisma saccharina)
Silverfish are small, wingless insects usually measuring 20mm or less in length. They have three tails (or cerci) and their body is covered in tiny silver scales.
Silverfish do not have wings, but are able to run very fast. They are usually seen in moist, humid areas in the home, such as bathrooms, basements, and attics.
They feed off moulds and starchy materials like cereals, flour, sweet foods, paper, curtains and wallpaper items. Silverfish can live up to a year without food, but require an environment of high humidity. They move fast and are by nature nocturnal.
While silverfish are mainly a nuisance pest, because they can contaminate food and damage paper goods such as wall paper and books.
Long-term Silverfish Prevention – Control Humidity
- One option is to install a dehumidifier in your home.
- Other options are to identify and repair leaky pipes and drains and also
- Eliminate or repair any mouldy/wet wood or walls.
- Improve ventilation in bathroom (e.g. bigger fan)
- Fit an electric fan heater to raise temperature and evaporate condensation in shower room
- Do not use a clothe horse indoors. Rather use a condenser dryer (“A” rated dryers cost less than 30c in electricity per cycle).
- Refrain from keeping old books and magazines in areas where silverfish are usually found like basements, attics and garages.
- Food items such as flour and sugar should be kept in tight containers.
Contact Owl Pest Control to schedule a silverfish treatment with a specialist
DIY Silverfish Treatments - Get Rid of Silverfish
Click on the links below for more details or to buy DIY silverfish killing products online
If you have a small silverfish infestation and have already repaired the issues with humidity, you may decide to treat the areas yourself to get rid of the remaining silverfish. You can spray the floor/wall junctions with a residual insecticide such as Protector C to kill silverfish as they move along the structure.
Once applied, Protector C is odourless and leaves a residue that kill silverfish for up to 3 months. Click on the picture for more details on Protector C or to buy online.
For more widespread silverfish infestations in wall cavities, attics or under floor boards, you can take further action using some insecticide dust. Diatomaceous Earth such as Desi-Dust is a natural, non-toxic clay that is ideal to use in such areas. If kept dry it will be effective for many months. Dust is also recommended where liquid sprays cannot be used, e.g. behind ovens & refrigerators, at electrical outlets, attic insulation, etc.
Crawling Insect Killer Powder
Very long residuality
Dry Areas only
Kill Silverfish on Contact
Natural Dust Insecticide
Desi-Dust Diatomaceous Eart
Dry Areas Only
Liquid Residual Insecticide
Protector C for silverfish control
PHONE, EMAIL OR BOOK
Contact Owl Pest Control
Do you have a Pest Control problem, need to talk to an expert?
Contact Owl Pest Control today!